Sunday, October 4, 2009

RABID ASIAN LADIES!

'Kay. So seriously? Tet Trung Thu = most fun volunteering opportunities.

Who cares if we get run over by rabid Asian ladies trying to get free lanterns and go crazy from the annoying tune that the stupid light sticks play? It's freakin' AWESOME to volunteer at the Civic Center.

So I got to the Civic Center at 3, all excited 'cause hell-- this is my favorite place to go volunteer at. We did a bit of recon for an hour or so, to get comfortable with the hour, then spent the next three hours putting together the little Tet Trung Thu gift bags for the kids 12 and under. Each bag has a little lantern, a mooncake (with nuts D:<), and this freaky little light. It was like a little Christmas light, but when you turn it on, it plays this annoying tune that gets stuck in your head.

We had this gigantic box filled with those little lights. If you even jostled it, one would turn on and all the volunteers would groan. It was so annoying. xD But still, I think it was pretty fun.

Anywho, at 7:30, we finally handed out the gifts. It was amazing because we must have assembled at least three hundred bags... and even more so because it ALL disappeared by 8:10. xD It was scary.

I can't count the amount of times a Vietnamese lady came to me and said, "Oh, my daughter's in the car" or something like that. xD ANd once, a 6'1" guy with CAR KEYS around his neck came around, trying to get a bag for himself.

"... Dude, it's for people twelve and under," I pointed out.

"I'm twelve! I swear!" he cried.

I shooed him away. xD

But yeah. Rabid Asian ladies come around twice a year-- on Tet Trung Thu and Toys for Tots, which is coming up in December :D Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment